Marian Allen is an award-winning author, blogger, and encourager of others who, in July, took time out to award The Liebster Blog Award to several blogs she felt worthy... the Opinionated Pussycat, included.
On behalf of Nikita, I, Elvira Mistress of Felinity, wish to humbly say thank you and, at last, respond and pass the award along.
But, before doing so a little Liebster Blog Award and Rules History is in order and Daddy Kiril has all the details.
The important thing is if you receive the award, you can 1) accept it and 2) pass it along....or not. The original idea didn't include asking and answering questions so don't feel you have to either. If you can only come up with 3 to 5 blogs to pass the award on to, as was the original idea, then don't feel guilty for doing so.
You are under no obligation to accept it or even pay it forward if you do. It's that easy.
The current "rules" have the award being given to bloggers who have less than 300 followers (As opposed to the original 3000) in acknowledgement of the high quality articles and posts they have written. In presenting a fellow blogger with the reward, you are encouraging him/her to keep up the great job with such interesting and inspiring writing.
Okay, so, these are the rules:
1. List eleven random facts about me.
2. Nominate eleven bloggers for the Liebster Blog Award.
3. Notify the bloggers.
4. Ask eleven questions the bloggers must answer upon receiving the nomination.
5. Answer the eleven questions you were asked when you were nominated.
6. Link back to the person who nominated you.
4 facts about Nikita, 3 about me, and Daddy Kiril, and 1 about Sneakers:
Nikita was adopted from a shelter when he was a month old.
Nikita made his writing debut on a long defunct website community, as a kitten.
He wrote under the name of "Hokie".
3 years of writing on that site was lost when it was shut down un-announced.
I refuse to eat wet food.
I have to watch my weight. 11 lbs is a bit much for a Tortie.
I have re-discovered my youth with the arrival of Sneakers in the family.
Sneakers is having her Hoohawectomy today!
Daddy Kiril has lived around dogs and cats since childhood.
Daddy Kiril has read our cat poetry at Open Mics in southern California and plans to get back to doing so in his new city of Houston.
Daddy Kiril is a published (unpaid) Star Trek author, and been quoted in a book about traveling without a car.
11 questions for us to answer....
1. How long have you been blogging?
Nikita - 2002 to 2013, Elvira since 2010, Sneakers only recently made her debut.
2. Why did you choose the topic(s) for your blog?
Elvira - We are cats, what else would we find interesting as topics? Hee, hee!
3. How do people find your blog?
Elvira - They find it well worth their time, for which we are honored!
Oh, wait, um, I mean by links on other websites, Daddy Kiril's Facebook, Twitter, G+, LinkedIn and Blog Paws pages and via search eng...
Oh, wait! You mean the url! http://www.opinionatedpussycat.com
4. Do you feel comfortable promoting/advertising your own stuff?
Kiril - The cats and I would like to do far more, I just need to learn how.
5. What’s your happiest earliest kittenhood memory?
Elvira - Nikita would probably say it was the first few months of his life with Daddy Kiril and I'd 2nd that motion for myself. Sneakers is non-stop happy so far, hee, hee!
6. If you could have any critter, real or imaginary, as a pet, what would it be?
Daddy Kiril - I would not change the ones God has seen fit to bring into my life.
7. What would you name it?
Daddy Kiril - Nikita, Elvira and Sneakers
8. Why would a woodchuck chuck wood?
Elvira - Far be it from me to try to fathom the mind of a woodchuck!
9. Vegan, vegetarian, or omnivore?
Elvira & Sneakers - We are Omnivores! Daddy Kiril eats his veggies, too, though.
10. What are you reading (not these questions, silly! what book?)?
Elvira - Sneakers & I have over 60 cat themed books on our shelves to plow through!
11. What is your superpower?
Elvira - My sassiness. Sneakers hasn't found hers yet.
I have 2 sets of questions for those to whom I am giving the award:
1st for the cat blogs:
1. How long have you been blogging?
2. What brought THIS on? Hee, hee!
3. Are you (or your cats, if the human responds) a wet food, dry food, or both, kitty?
4. As a follow-up...ordinary brands, premium, or raw foods?
5. Do you have a cat tower, just a strickly store bought toys only cat, or "I don't give a fig for any of that! Just give me a wadded up piece of paper, or empty TP or PT roll and I'm happy!"
6. Re your bathroom habits (or your cats habits if the human responds)....Litter Box - Open or closed?
7. Do you mind if other cats watch while you do your business? What if it's your human watching?
8. Are you a LapCat or not? Why?
9. Can you tell when your human is approaching the front door when they come home? Seeing them from a window doesn't count! This is all about your senses.
10. Where is your favorite spot for naps and snoozes?
11. Catnip? 1. Oh, yeahhhhhh.... 2. Never touch the stuff myself 3. What's that?
My Chosen Bloggers:
Our Texas friends Samantha & Clementine of Life From a Cat's Perspective
Cat Chat with Caren & Cody: Caren is "a professional blogger in the pet industry who also does freelance writing." Taking the original criteria for this award into account I am giving them the award in memory of Nikita and in honor of their recent, 1000th, post.
Their story and excellent blog, is an inspiration to me, as we approach our own 1000th (this post is #996!) and to Daddy Kiril, who met Caren at Blog Paws last year.
Our 2 insane cat friends, Rascal & Rocco and their human,L. E. Mastilock, who is just trying to live with them.
For the Cat/Pet Press and the Shelter & Rescue Blogs:
1. How long have you been publishing? / How old is your organization?
2. Do you think issues related to cats get enough coverage in the news? Why or why not?
3. Do you think the pet owning public is as educated about issues related to care of their pet as it should be? Why or why not?
4. Why is it that people may be familiar with what a "Puppy Mill" is but you rarely, if ever, read or hear about "Kitty/Kitten Mills" in the mainstream press? A Google of the terms opened my eyes to available info on the subject.
5. Why do you think people let their cats roam instead of keeping them strickly indoors?
6. Do you think such people do enough to "protect" their roamers, such as collars & info tags and/or microchipping?
7. Why is cat rescue such a never ending challenge?
8. Why are black cats so hard to adopt and what steps can rescues and shelters do to increase their chances of finding Forever Homes?
9. Why are adult cats so hard to adopt and what steps can rescues and shelters do to increase their chances of finding Forever Homes?
10. Is finding Forever Homes for Special Needs Kitties difficult? What steps can/do rescues and shelters take to help them?
11. What can pet bloggers do to reach out and connect with their local mainstream media that covers the pet beat, and also reach out and connect with rescues, shelters and pet product merchants in their community?
BONUS QUESTION: What can mainstream pet journalists, rescues, shelters, and pet product merchants do to better educate themselves about the pet blogging community and reach out to those members of it in their city?
My Chosen Cat/Pet Press and Shelter & Rescue Blogs
Houston Chronicle - Pets Houston: Where Houston Brags, Laughs and Wonders About the Animals We Love (January 2011 -present)
Friends For Life (Houston)
Homeless and Orphaned Pets Endeavor (Houston) - Stories of Hope Blog
Rescued Pet Movement Blog (Houston)